Netflix's Kate is Marginally Better Than Other 24-hour to live Action Movies

 

Netflix's female version of Cranked released today, and I've got to say that it's marginally better than the other 24-hour to live action movies. 

For anyone who is unfamiliar with this particular movie, Mary Elizabeth Winstead plays Kate, an assassin who contemplates her future as an assassin after a mission in Osaka takes a wrong turn. 

Woody Harrelson play Varrick, or V, her handler. Varrick raised Kate to be a professional killer from a young age. After the mission in Osaka, Kate tells Varrick she wants to retire and have a normal life. Varrick essentially tells her that she'll tired of the boring life and be back in no time. 

On what is supposed to be Kate's last mission, she manages to find herself poisoned. After the mission takes a turn for the worst, she wakes up to in the hospital with a terminal diagnosis and 24 hours to live, and thus begins her rampage to find justice. 

I don't want to give too much away about the movie, but I will say that as far as 24-hour to live action movies go, this one is marginally better than the rest. 

Most of the other 24-hour to live action movies have a ridiculous plot. For instance, let's talk about Cranked. Anyone who hasn't seen the movie, Jason Statham plays a hitman that finds himself poisoned and unless he keeps his adrenaline up, he'll die. Essentially the whole movie was designed for ridiculous stunts and action sequences. Then there's that Ethan Hawke movie where they brought him back to life and he had some short amount of time to figure out what was actually going on. That story centered around reanimating dead bodies. There are others, but you get what I mean. 

With Kate, she's poisoned by a substance that would make sense. It wasn't like some obscure reference to something the general population wouldn't know about. If you've seen a good spy movie, then you probably have a good idea of what I'm talking about. Here's a hint, there was an episode of Criminal Minds where SSA Steven Walker got a call because a friend of his was poisoned and dying. 

I've also got to give the writers credit for her being able to sustain Kate being able to move around without some ridiculous remedy. In the movie Cranked,  at one point he ended up getting a blow job from his girlfriend while driving because his adrenaline started to drop. In Kate, she had the doctor fill syringes with all kinds of stimulants and things to keep her going. It wasn't some farfetched concoction or some ridiculous stunt crammed into the movie because action is what's keeping the main character alive.  

Overall, it was an okay movie and if you asked me which 24-hour to live action movie would I recommend watching, I would suggest Kate. The story line isn't over the top, the action sequences aren't so embellished that they seem fake, and the end of the movie makes it worth watching. It's very well done, and in my opinion, a beautiful way to this particular movie. The movie was very heartfelt and original as well as packed with action and some fun moments. You can watch the trailer below. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Here's Are Some Thing I've Learned From Growing My Cannabis Plant

I'm tired of people telling me what I need to do, but not willing to help me do it.

Update for my Loyalists