Netflix's The Guilty is Guilty of Being Boring and Predictable

To say that I've been waiting for weeks to see this movie would be, well, the truth, but to illustrate my point I'll tell you a little story about just how badly I've been wanting to see this movie. 

Aright, so I'm fairly certain that the first time I heard or saw anything about this movie was about 3 weeks ago. I think it was an article that I saw and maybe later that week I saw the preview for it. I thought it looked exactly like that movie with Halle Berry doing the exact same thing, so I figured Jake Gyllenhaal is involved so it might be alright, you know? 

So the following week I think I read another article that actually talked about the movie, and I thought maybe it was already on Netflix, so I popped it on and sure enough it wasn't there. Between today, the day I actually watched the movie, and the first time I checked Netflix to see if it was there, I did that shit about 4 more times because I really kept thinking it was there and in my pure excitement would rush to check. Yeah, that's how badly I wanted to see it, but in my defense, I had just come off a Squid Game & Alice in Borderland bender, and daddy needed a fix. Anyway, I finally got a chance to peep the movie, and here's how that turned out. 

Movie starts out pretty much the way all movies start out, with a beginning, but in this particular we find out very early that things aren't all good with our main character which brings us to Jake Gyllenhaal. Gyllenhaal plays an LAPD officer, Joe, who is doing shifts as a 9-1-1 operator. He takes a few calls like it's any other normal day, and we quickly find out that this isn't his everyday job and that he's there because they don't want him out on the streets for some reason. 

After going through his morning routine, he gets a strange call from a woman who seems to have called the wrong number. It's not until he hears another voice in the background that realizes something might be amiss. He inquires about the woman's situation by quickly coming up with a code for her to answer his questions. Joe then discovers the woman has been abducted. 

If you've seen the previews, then you seen pretty much all the important stuff up to this point. Joe phones the highway patrol and sends a police unit to her residence. At this point he has learned that the woman who called him has two children at home alone. From this point forward he's on a mission to try and help save this woman. 

After he's made some calls, highway patrol catches up to a vehicle that seemingly matches the description he gave, but after they stop the vehicle to investigate they discover that it's not the one. The police arrive at the woman's residence, and the daughter calls 9-1-1 and talks to Joe. Joe convinces her to let them in and see what's going on. They take the phone from the little girl and talk to Joe. While they are walking through the apartment they are describing the scene to him. This scene is about half way through the movie, and this is when I knew how the rest of the movie was going to go.

Don't get me wrong, Gyllenhaal delivers a really good performance and I totally understand the relevance of it, but the movie was still predictable and boring. This movie started out slow, and right when it got good, it got predictable essentially kneecapping itself, and as good as Jake Gyllenhaal can act, he can't cover up things in the story obvious to the audience. In the end it's not the worst movie ever made, but definitely among the most disappointing. 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Here's Are Some Thing I've Learned From Growing My Cannabis Plant

I'm tired of people telling me what I need to do, but not willing to help me do it.

Update for my Loyalists