Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot Was Not My Cup of Tea

I am a huge fan of anime so naturally when they started making Dragon Ball Z for consoles I was immediately intrigued. Obviously the game changed throughout the years which the addition storylines and characters that game had to evolve. 

Eventually the game go to the Xenoverse version of the game which I enjoyed a lot. I enjoyed the game because it had a little bit of an open world feel to it, but it still had the traditional fighting genre feel. Same goes for Xenoverse 2, so when the newest one, Dragon Ball Z Kakarot, released I was again intrigued. 

The Game was a disappointment

When I first saw DBZ: Kakarot I the game play looked solid and the game overall looked like it was going to follow the traditional story arc, but what I didn't realize was that it changed from the fighting genre more to an open world RPG. 

When I started the game up, I thought the initial phase of the game was like a tutorial which is why you couldn't go to the main menu, but after about 10 minutes of playing I quickly realized that the whole game IS the story. 

I held out hope that I would be able to at least load up a battle mode and line up 5 bad guys to my 1 or 2 like I did in the old days, but no such luck...as far as I know. Bummer. I kept playing for a bit longer, but honestly I just couldn't get into the game. 

The open world wasn't fun

The first issue for me was the open world. As cool as the idea of running around an open DBZ world, but this didn't feel cool at all. Running around felt clunky and flying wasn't much better. Once you get a feel for the controls the game still doesn't feel great while playing. 

Another problem I had with the open world was how tedious it was. There were a lot of orbs that you should collect by flying and running around and while the orbs weren't hard to collect, you have to rely on running and flying which like I said before felt clunky. 

The Combat system was both a positive and a negative

The reason anyone gets a DBZ game is to pop that bitch in and whoop some ass as Goku or Gohan, but with this game there isn't just a pure battle mode like the other games. Not really sure if that is something that will remain or if there is some expansion or update but this was a huge negative for me because the whole reason I bought the game was to customize characters like the good old days by playing the story and then using that character to crush the computer and friends. 

With that being said, the simplification of the battle was a nice surprise. Instead of having to push buttons in a sequence to create a combination, you push one button to do the physical attack combinations. Obviously you still have to push other buttons to do the more advanced attacks, but they have simplified the system enough to where you don't have to memorize the different combination chains. 

Simplifying the combat system was great, but it didn't overcome the flaws of battle. Battle with multiple targets was tedious because changing between targets wasn't easy and you couldn't tell which target you were locked on at times. Sometimes the over simplification of the combat system got in the way of completing a combination. 

I might play it a little when I am bored but...

 I might play the game a little bit from time to time when I am bored, but I am not going to spend any serious time playing it. It reminded me a lot of Kingdom hearts with the gameplay and I didn't really care for Kingdom Hearts or its gameplay. To my, DBZ is a fighting game and while I understand why this game was made for those that wanted an RPG style DBZ, I prefer to turn on the game and battle against the computer and other players. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Here's Are Some Thing I've Learned From Growing My Cannabis Plant

I'm tired of people telling me what I need to do, but not willing to help me do it.

Update for my Loyalists