Should Conor McGregor Get a Shot at Kamaru Usman's Belt in His Return to the Octagon?

McGregor is setting his sights on returning to the UFC soon and he wants a shot at Karamu Usman's title and quite frankly I don't think he should get a shot at another title until he starts winning fights. McGregor has lost 3 of his last 4 fights and right now it just doesn't seem like a good matchup. 

I know some people want to say that Conor broke his leg in his last fight and that shouldn't count, but let's be honest, the only reason he got the rematch against Dustin in the first place is because Conor is a big name. If hadn't built up his notoriety and whiskey brand, he would be just another guy fighting his way through the UFC and good on him for positioning himself so well, but at the end of the day I think he's on the decline. 

His fight against an aged Cerrone was wildly unimpressive, he traded wins with Diaz, then got knocked out by Poirier, and then broke his leg in that rematch. He hasn't been that impressive and that's not even mentioning the fact that 2 of his last four fights were to avenge a previous loss. I'm not saying McGregor can't still fight, but he's definitely not a dominate as he once was and he looks to be on the decline, meanwhile, Usman is riding a win streak and looking like he's at the top of his game. 

The matchup just doesn't make sense considering Usman has far more to lose than McGregor does. Even if McGregor doesn't fight a champ but someone inside the top 10 and wins, he's automatically going to be back in the conversation for a title shot but Usman on the other hand is sitting at the top of the division looking for a good fight and while there's the risk of losing his belt with any fight he takes, at least it won't be to a guy who in 5 fights fought the same two guys 4 four times. 

Long story short, I think this could just be Conor's way of saying that he's going to compete at welterweight for the future because the matchup just doesn't make any sense for either fighter at this point in their career. McGregor is coming off that leg injury and hasn't seen any real ring time and if I'm Usman and I have to risk my belt, I'm not picking a guy like Conor McGregor because his name is starting to fade and he's not the dominant fighter he used to be. If I'm the UFC and Conor wants to fight at welterweight, I think a fight against Belal Muhammad or Khamzat Chimaev fight makes the most sense because they are both talented guys on the rise and McGregor can get his chance to prove that he deserves a shot at Usman. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Here's Are Some Thing I've Learned From Growing My Cannabis Plant

I'm tired of people telling me what I need to do, but not willing to help me do it.

Update for my Loyalists