Is Lia Thomas Being National Champion Fair?

Getty Images; Facebook
Before I get into this I want to make it known, because I know there are people who will read what I am about to write and get butthurt, that I have no issue with trans people. I think everyone should be free to live their life in the manner which makes them the happiest and as long as people aren't causing harm or abusing others to make themselves happy, then I'm fine with whatever their life choices are. 

That being said, Lia Thomas has been in the news a lot and while I do believe trans people should be allowed to compete in sports, I don't believe that Lia should have been named the official champion. I played sports in recreation leagues as well as in high school and I played for the club team for a spell in college. I'm a competitive person and I believe in a 100% level playing field which is why I feel that these women were slighted by Lia Thomas winning a national championship in their sport. 

Biologically speaking, when we talk about fairness there's a reason that men and women's sports are separated and that's because men have a natural advantage when it comes to sports. Men on average are taller, faster, and stronger. If you look at all the measurable statistics in sports that both men and women compete, men generally preform better. 

If you look at the graph to my left you'll see what I mean. In every event, when compared side by side, men have an edge and that edge makes a huge difference. Lia Thomas spent the majority of their life as a man which means that for 20+ years, Lia's body was producing testosterone meaning by the time Lia transitioned, their body had been fully developed as a man not to mention all the training because Lia swam as a man before transitioning. As far as I know, the hormone treatments that trans people receive don't undo the biological changes they go through during puberty meaning, Lia isn't going to shrink down to the size of an average woman. 

Lia had an unfair advantage to win that title because she was born a man and went through male puberty. Now do I think Lia shouldn't have been allowed to compete? No, not at all. I think Lia should've been allowed to compete just not in anyway that would have changed the standings for biological women. Now I know some people might think I have some bias or some crap like that but I don't. I believe in fairness of competition and as long as testosterone is a banned substance, I don't think someone who spent the majority of their natural born life as a man should be able to compete in biological women's sports just like I don't believe that men and women should fight each other in the combat sports. 

It's simply not fair, and the only way I see to make it fair is for there to be an open league. I am 100% all for them creating coed/open leagues for high school and college kids to compete in and win titles because that's a level playing field in my and I'm not basing this on anything other than proven fact. People act like men and women are equal, but when it comes to biology it's just not true. Yes, I believe that women are capable of doing the same things, but biologically they are limited because men grow to be taller, faster, and stronger. We can't pretend that's not fact when the stats are there. 

At the end of the day, I'm not saying trans people should be excluded from sports, but I think there needs to be an open league where gender doesn't matter and it's a balanced playing field because someone like Lia Thomas had the unfair advantage of being a man for 20+ years before transitioning and the statistics speak for themselves; men have a natural advantage over women when it comes to height, strength and speed which are all things that make a huge difference in sports. 

References:

https://www.worldathletics.org/records/by-category/olympic-games-records

https://scholar.princeton.edu/sites/default/files/brzycki/files/mb-2002-01.pdf

https://www.castironstrength.com/elite-strength-sports-ipf-and-iwf-a-comparision-of-sex-and-performance/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Here's Are Some Thing I've Learned From Growing My Cannabis Plant

I'm tired of people telling me what I need to do, but not willing to help me do it.

Update for my Loyalists