Being Liked Isn't the Same as Being Chosen

There's a strange kind of loneliness that no one really prepares you for.
It's not the loneliness of being disliked.
It's the loneliness of realizing that people can genuinely enjoy your company, laugh at your jokes, hug you when they see you, ask how you've been... and still never think to include you in their day.
That realization doesn't happen all at once. It sneaks up on you.
One day you notice that your phone hasn't buzzed all afternoon. Then you realize it hasn't buzzed much all week. You send a meme to someone because it reminded you of them. They leave it on read. You wake up on Saturday morning, glance at your notifications, and there isn't a single message asking what you're up to.
Not because anyone is angry with you.
Not because you've done anything wrong.
Just... because.
When we're young, friendship is built on proximity. School puts us together. Sports put us together. We spend entire summers wandering neighborhoods with nothing but time to burn. Being together is effortless because life hasn't asked much of us yet.
Then adulthood quietly changes the rules.
Your friends get married. They have children. Careers demand more of them. Weekends become grocery shopping, soccer games, birthday parties, laundry, and trying to recover before Monday morning.
Nobody made a conscious decision to leave you behind.
Life simply became full.
That's the part people don't talk about.
Most friendships don't end with a fight. They end with a thousand tiny moments where no one meant any harm. The invitations become less frequent. The conversations become shorter. The memes stop arriving. Before long, the people you used to see every weekend become people you wish happy birthday once a year.
It's nobody's fault.
But that doesn't make it hurt any less.
The hardest part isn't wondering whether people like you.
Most of the time, they do.
You see it when you're together. They smile. They laugh. They ask how work is going. They tell you it's good seeing you.
The difficult part comes after you leave.
When you realize that outside of those shared moments, you rarely cross their mind.
There's a difference between being welcomed into someone's presence and being woven into their life.
One lasts for an afternoon.
The other lasts after you leave.
As I've gotten older, I've realized something else.
Not every friendship is worth holding onto simply because it's lasted a long time.
There are people I've known for years who I wouldn't choose to spend a Saturday with anymore. Not because they're bad people, but because somewhere along the way our values stopped growing in the same direction.
Maybe they're rude to servers.
Maybe every conversation revolves around gossip.
Maybe they only call when they need a favor.
Maybe every time we spend time together, I leave feeling more exhausted than fulfilled.
At some point, adulthood isn't just about finding people who like you.
It's about finding people whose presence makes your life better, and whose life is better because you're in it.
That realization comes with a cost.
The more intentional you become about who you let into your life, the smaller your circle often becomes.
Sometimes painfully small.
There are moments when I wonder if anyone thinks about me when I'm not standing in front of them.
Not in some grand, dramatic way.
Just the ordinary moments.
Seeing a funny video and thinking, Brandon would laugh at this.
Driving past a restaurant and wondering if I'd want to grab dinner.
Sending a random text just because.
Those little moments aren't really about the meme or the message.
They're evidence.
Evidence that, for a brief second in the middle of someone else's busy day, you existed in their thoughts.
I don't blame anyone for how life turns out.
Nobody owes me forever.
Nobody owes me tomorrow.
Everyone is carrying responsibilities I can't see.
I understand that.
But understanding something doesn't erase the feeling.
Maybe that's what adulthood really is.
Not losing everyone all at once.
Just watching everyone's lives slowly fill up until you're no longer part of their everyday rhythm.
And maybe that's why so many of us feel lonely even though we're surrounded by people who genuinely like us.
Because being liked and being chosen aren't the same thing.
At the end of the day, I don't need to be everyone's favorite person.
I don't need to be invited to every cookout or every weekend trip.
I don't need my phone buzzing every hour.
I think most of us are just hoping for something much smaller than that.
We're hoping that somewhere, in the middle of someone else's ordinary Tuesday, our name quietly crosses their mind.
Because sometimes that's all it takes to remind someone they still belong.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

As Is

Lin-Manuel Miranda “In the Heights” Colorism Controversy

Somewhere Under This Same Sky