And Still the Undefeated UFC Light Heavyweight Champion of the World...

 

Saturday afternoon, UFC 254 saw one of the greatest fighters in UFC history, a rising star, defend his title, and then promptly retire at 29-0 as a professional fighter. 

Admittedly, I did not see the fight, but I followed both fighters enough to know who they are and what to expect. When I talked about the fight during my podcast, I said that both fighters were great wrestlers and that the only way Gaethje would win is if he made Khabib stand with him by cancelling out Khabib's wrestling. I think one thing we all thought would affect the fight is the fact that Khabib lost his father due to Covid. Khabib's father was a huge presence in his life and he mentioned that it was the first time he was going to have to face a challenge inside the octagon without his father. After the fight, during his post-fight interview, he said he talked to his mother for 3 days and that she didn't want him to fight without his father by his side. He promised this would be his last fight; a respectable reason to retire. 

Again, I didn't see the fight but I did watch what they could show on the ESPN highlights, and it looked like Khabib was the same old Khabib. The still shots they were able to show, Khabib was dominating Gaethje with his wrestling and then ultimately got the submission in the second round. 


I won't say I am surprised that Khabib won, because I think in the back of my mind I knew he was going to, but I think I felt like Justin would do better again Khabib's wrestling. The submission was a complete shock but that just goes to show how great of a grappler/wrestler Khabib is and to be able to strike the way he does, it makes it hard for guys to get a beat on him because he can change levels almost effortlessly. If he wants the takedown, he will find a way to get it. He will surely be missed in the UFC. I know there was talk of him going 30-0 but I think this last fight was his last one. I think there comes a point in every warrior's life where they have to put down their sword and I think this was it for him. I think if he knew that if he went in there again, he might not be able to come out victorious and what else does he really have to prove? He came into the UFC and won his way to a title then dominated his challengers. I think he can walk away proud of the career he's had and I can honestly say that I admire a man that puts his family at the top of the priority list. 


Vacant Title

With Khabib's retirement being less that 24 hours in the books, that opens the door for three men to contend for that title: McGregor, Poirier and Gaethje. Obviously there are other great fighters in the division who will eventually get their shot at the title, but I think we can agree those are the obvious guys to make a run at gold. McGregor and Poirier are supposed to fight, both men fought Khabib for the title and lost and both men rebounded with a win to keep them at the top of the UFC rankings. Gaethje just lost to Khabib and in my mind, logically that makes him the either the champ or, at the very least, interim champ. Why? He just fought for the belt. He's at the top of the division. If the number 2 loses to the number 1, he's still number too, right? You can't drop a spot because you lost to the person in the spot above you-- at least that's how I see it, so logically, I think whoever wins again Poirier/McGregor should have to fight Gaethje for the belt or to unify the belt. 


After the fight Gaethje said he feels good and said he'd be ready again in "6-8 weeks". I think if Poirier and McGregor doesn't happen, I think Gaethje/Poirier makes the most sense. McGregor is a great fighter, but Gaethje lost to Poirier and I think story, legacy, and stylistically just makes a good match-up. Both men are solid strikers but Gaethje has improved his striking by leaps and bounds. Poirier is still improving as well and both guys will put on a show. If it were up to me I'd make that fight, but if you ask McGregor, I think he would see it very differently. I guess we'll just have to wait and see how this thing shakes out. 






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Here's Are Some Thing I've Learned From Growing My Cannabis Plant

I'm tired of people telling me what I need to do, but not willing to help me do it.

Update for my Loyalists